Featured Post

We have moved!

We have moved websites! http://helenahelm.org/

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Page 2-Third Issue May 2017

Betsy Hussey and her horse (Photo provided by Betsy Hussey)

Faculty Spotlight:
Betsy Hussey


By Joy Wiggins
Joy.Wiggins@mail.umhelena.edu


As students of Helena College, we all know how great the teachers are. We thought sharing some of their stories and inspirations would be fun, and students would get to know them a little bit outside the classroom. Each month we will have a question and answer session with one teacher. This month we chose Betsy Hussey. She is one of our accounting teachers and a Starbucks enthusiast.





Q. What is your educational background? 
Actually, I am a high school dropout.  I was bored in school!  When I was 21 I decided that working in pool halls and restaurants wasn’t going to be the best idea for the remainder of my life.  So, after getting my GED, I went and got my AA at Salt Lake Community College.  I took that and transferred to Carroll College where I got a BA in Business Administration with Honors.  I went back to Carroll and took a few more Accounting classes so that I could sit for the CPA exam.  Most recently, I just finished my Masters in Taxation from Nova Southeastern University Hunzinger School of Business.

Q. What are you currently reading for enjoyment?
Who has time to read for fun?  I have a pile of books to read this summer including Ben Nichols' and Virginia Reeves' books and the latest book in the Mortal Instruments series.  We read a lot of young adult lit in our house.

Q. What interests do you pursue outside the classroom?
Horses.  Pre-kids I was a competitive Dressage rider.  My super power is that I can turn any conversation into a conversation about horses.

Q. When did you decide to become a teacher, and why did you choose this field?
I went into accounting because as a business student I realized that none of my ideas would be profitable.  I became a teacher because it is in my blood.  I was constantly training clients and colleagues.

Q. What is your favorite four-legged creature and why?
As stated previously, horses, although I am a huge fan of cats, too, and dogs, and bunnies, and…okay, I have a problem.

Q. If you could have a meal with anyone who would it be and why?
Jon Bon Jovi.  Come on, it’s Bon Jovi!

Q. Where is your favorite place to eat?
There is a place in Crescent City, California, called The Chartroom..  It’s right on the ocean near the Redwoods and has the freshest seafood.  It’s not fancy, more of a place the fisherman themselves eat at.  They have the best crab and cheese sandwich.

Q. In your opinion, what is the best Disney movie to come out?
There are so many.  Probably the original Beauty and the Beast, or the Little Mermaid.

Q. What kind of music are you into? Who is currently your favorite?
Oh, my gosh.  I used to work in the industry.  I pretty much enjoy everything except rap.  Honestly right now I must say Justin Timberlake because I have two small children and there is this little fad going on called Trolls.

Q. What is the funniest thing to have happened to you recently?
I got nothing here.


Q. What is your favorite saying?
Do whatever you have to do to get through the class!


Q. Who has inspired you in your life and why?
I had a great accounting instructor, Dr. Charles Ericksen.  He kept everything fun and light.  I like to think I got some of my style from him.

Q. What is your favorite memory from your childhood?
Hanging out at my riding stable all day long.


Q. What would you do if you won the lottery?
Purchase a property with an indoor riding arena.

Q. What is one thing you will never do again?
Drop out of school!

No comments:

Post a Comment