Featured Post

We have moved!

We have moved websites! http://helenahelm.org/

Saturday, February 11, 2017

Page 3-First Issue February 2017

Joe’s Corner

Photo courtesy of  Joe Smietanka's parents

This is a section dedicated for student writing. The first featured poem is by a Helena College student, Joe Smietanka, who passed away in 2016. This section is named after him because of his dedication and love for the art of writing.



























Poem #3

Slowly I unzip my backpack

Pull out my pilot gel pen, today it’s blue

College ruled composition notebook in front of me

A little nervous, so I smile

Licking my fingers, I open the page

Feeling the silky sheen of the paper at the end of my paw

Thoughts cross my mind

I give the pen a quick click, circle the page, and leave prints

To make sure that the ink flows like the Mississippi River

I know a few tricks to ease my mind, when I write, slow at first

Then increase with speed until I’m done

What a relief it is to be free

From the thoughts that haunt my mind


We are looking for student writing to publish in future issues please submit your writing to the helenahelmnews@gmail.com

 

Continuing Education Courses

By: Kiera Marshall
Kiera.Marshall@mail.umhelena,edu

     Helena College offers a wide variety of courses that you can take from biology to business. Continuing Education offers many courses that you aren’t required to take, but are there to enrich minds from both the community and within the college.

     Some courses have already started this semester, but there are some that haven’t yet. Next month, a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) course is being offered and is one of their biggest ones. They haven’t offered this program in over a year. The most popular program they are offering this semester is a Ukulele class. Continuing Education offers many different language courses as well such as Russian and Hebrew.

     The program releases a catalogue every four months (August, December, April) and each catalogue offers different courses. One of the upcoming courses that will be in the April catalogue will be a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL).

     Any students with children in grade school or elementary school can participate in a children’s class over the summer that teaches computer techniques and how to make video games. They also have reserve officer training in the summer.

     Director Mary Lannert has been working in Continuing Education for more than ten years. Her job is to work with the community partners to develop new courses and developing courses within the community that will help for some fields of work.

     Christy Stergar is the program coordinator and handles the marketing, financials, customer complaints, and works with the instructors.  She has worked in the program for seven and a half years.

     Julie Adams, who sits at the front desk, is the customer service representative. She makes sure those who take the courses offered are happy and enjoying them. Adams has been with the program for five years.


Orientation Experience

By: Kiera Marshall
Kiera.Marshall@mail.umhelena.edu

Orientation can be stressful for everyone. Attending a four-hour event with a group of strangers and learning about the college you are going to be at for the next few years is overwhelming.

When I went through this four-hour process of anxiety and too much information to process, I was scared, but I was able to make a friend. It was a small act of kindness that started a beautiful friendship that I’ve treasured.

This semester I attended orientation as a club representative and I had the same anxious feeling of talking to people who I didn’t know and convince them to join a club and be involved. Just like when I went as a new, incoming student, I made friends and we enjoyed each other’s company.

If there is one thing that you should learn at orientation, it is that a small gesture can make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment